International students who want to study at Australian universities need a Study VISA. Study visas are based on the applicant’s age, the study program he is applying for, and the duration of the study program. The most common Study VISA international students use is Student VISA (Subclass 500), irrespective of their study program.
STUDENT VISA (SUBCLASS 500)
The Student VISA (Subclass 500) allows you to study full-time at any Australian educational institution with a permit of five years. The VISA allows you to:
- enrol into a study course of five year period at an Australian educational institution
- take your dependent family members with you to Australia
- apply for the VISA online from anywhere
- work for upto 40 hours in two weeks during your study course.
SUBCLASS 500 STUDENT VISA ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
Before applying for the student VISA (Subclass 500), you must:
- be 6 years old at least.
- deliver a Confirmation of Enrolment in a study program registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Student.
- prove your proficiency in the English language.
- be enrolled in an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) through approved Australian health insurance providing firm throughout your stay. Your family members will also need OSHC if they are coming along.
- fulfil the health and character needs.
- have welfare arrangements for your stay in Australia if you are below the age of 18 years.
- meet the financial demands.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR STUDENT VISA (SUBCLASS 500):
You will need a few documents to apply for the Subclass 500 VISA but before that, verify that the documents are accurate. Some of the required documents include:
- a country passport,
- proof of enrolment into a study program at an Australian educational institution,
- financial capability, and
- English proficiency.
PROCEDURE OF APPLYING FOR A SUBCLASS 500 VISA:
- You must apply for the VISA at least six weeks before your course starts.
- Check if you have all the documents needed in the VISA application process, and all of them are updated with accurate data.
- Apply for the VISA online.
- Create or log into your account at Immi Account, attach the needed documents, and pay the application fee.
COST OF THE SUBCLASS 500 VISA:
The cost of the subclass 500 VISA is around AUD 620. If you are taking your family to Australia, you will have to pay a separate charge for each candidate.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PROCESS THE VISA?
Processing time differs for VISA applications of different categories. Generally, VISA applications for higher education take around 29-42 days and for training and vocational studies take approximately 43-77 days.
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST FOR STUDENT VISA (SUBCLASS 500)
VISA applicants who don’t have English as their native language must give an English proficiency test such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc. You must have studied English and need to score points that the immigration department approves. Apart from this, the scorecard is valid for two years.
WHAT WELFARE ARRANGEMENTS SHOULD BE MADE FOR APPLICANTS WHO ARE BELOW THE AGE OF 18?
Candidates below the age of 18 and applying for the Student VISA (Subclass 500) should have made welfare arrangements in Australia. They must choose one between:
- have a guardian, who can be their parent, relative or legal custodian. They must be above 21 years and have a VISA to stay in Australia till the candidate turns 18 or their study in the country completes.
- ask their education provider for a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare, show proof of CAAW to the Department of Home Affairs with the start and end dates.
- secondary exchange student need to attain an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student and attach a signed copy of CAAW to their student VISA application.
- if they are Defence or Foreign Affairs students, they need approval from the appropriate minister for the welfare arrangements.
WORKING RIGHTS ON A SUBCLASS 500
A Subclass 500 Student VISA allows part-time work. You can work for 20 hours a week after your study program starts. However, international students registered in ACT public schools can only work for 10 hours in an academic year.
Can I travel on Student VISA (SUBCLASS 500) in Australia?
You can travel anywhere and anytime in Australia with a Student VISA (Subclass 500).
What if my VISA application gets refused?
You will get a written response mentioning the corrections needed and reviewing the application.
What is the application fee of Student VISA (Subclass 500)?
The application fee of Student VISA (Subclass 500) is around AUD 575 per candidate.
Can I change my course after applying for the Student VISA (Subclass 500)?
Changing your course may cause some trouble in your VISA application, so discuss it with the Department of Home Affairs before any change.
Can I extend my VISA?
Yes, you will have to reapply for the VISA if you want to continue studying in Australia.
Can I take my family to Australia on a Student VISA (Subclass 500)?
Yes, you can take your family to Australia, they can be:
- your spouse,
- dependent children of you or your spouse, who are below 18 years and are not married.